Monday, March 24, 2008

US Citizenship Interview / Entrevista Para Ciudadania Americana

Today I had my US Citizenship interview and everything went well. I passed the history and English test so now I just have to be sworn in at an Oath ceremony. Let me tell you a little bit about the history and English test. Before I had the interview they sent me a little book with like 100 questions and answers about American history that I had to study . They were going to test me on those question. Some of the questions were like... "What are the colors of the flag?" "How many states are in the United States?" etc. They asked me about 6 of these questions and the last one they made me read out loud to make sure I knew how to read. Then the last part of the test was to write one sentence that the person interviewing me dictated and that was to test if I knew how to write. This is what she asked me to write:

HE HAS A VERY BIG DOG.

Guess what?... I Passed!!! Yahooo!!! I'd say that the test was easy but I would be giving it too much credit. Like I said, at the begining everything went well..... except for the fact that after I was done they told me that I would have to wait 4 months for an Oath ceremony where they give me my citizenship papers. I said WHAT??? My interviewer said that there were a lot of people getting their citizenship and it was a first come first serve thing. I got out of that building and I was so angry because, for those who know, my process through immigration has been a pain in the butt from the beginning. I have never been illegal in this country and for some reason it looks like I have a curse with immigration. Everything has taken longer that it should. Thank goodness for Senator Hatch's office. They have been there to help me every time I needed help. And, of course, now his office is helping me to get sworn in as soon as possible. I'll let you know what happens.

Hoy tuve mi entrevista para obtener la ciudadania de EEUU y me fue muy bien. Pase el examen de hitoria e Ingles asi que ahora lo unico que me falta es ir a la ceremonia. Dejenme contarles un poco acerca del examen de historia e Ingles. Antes de que tuviera la entrevista me enviaron por correo un librito con como 100 preguntas y respuestas que tenia que estudiar sobre la historia de los EEUU. Me hiban a tomar un examen en base a esas preguntas. Algunas de las preguntas por ejemplo eran... Cuales son los colores de la bandera? Cuantos estados hay en los EEUU? etc. Me preguntaron solo 6 preguntas y la ultima me la hicieron leer en voz alta para asegurarse de que sabia leer en Ingles. Despues la ultima parte del examen era escribir una oracion que la persona que me estaba entrevistando me hiba a dictar y eso era para saber si sabia como escribir. Esta es la oracion que me hizo escribir:

EL TIENE UN PERRO MUY GRANDE.

Adivinen? Pase!! Diria que el examen fue facil pero le estaria dando demasiado credito. Como dije al principio todo salio muy bien.... con la exepcion de que despues de que ya termino la entrevista me dijeron que hiba a tener que esperar 4 meses para mi ceremonia donde obtengo la ciudadania. Les dije QUE?? Ella dijo que habia un monton de personas obteniendo su ciudadania y que era una cosa de por orden de llegada. Sali de ese edificio con mucha bronca porque para aquellos de ustedes que saben, mi proceso por immigraciones ha sido un dolor de cabeza desde el principio. Nunca he estado ilegal en este pais y por alguna razon pareceria que tengo una maldicion con immigraciones. Todo ha tomado mas tiempo de lo que deberia. Que bueno que esta el Senador Hatch que fue el que me ayudo cada vez que necesite ayuda y por supuesto su officina ahora me esta ayudando para poder tener la ceremonia antes de los 4 meses. Les cuento despues lo que pasa.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Priscila,
Thanks for not telling the part how the rest of us could not answer all the questions in the test. Also, I will keep it a secret about how Hatches office helped you since you will probably catch up soon. Love, mom