Thursday, July 15, 2010

Mommy-Daughter Date

A while ago Mac and I had been talking about spending some time with each of the kids and doing something together to build a good relationship and build memories for the kids and we thought that we needed to have some one-on-one time with the kids. Time went by and it was hard to figure out the time to do it. A couple of months ago we attended a church meeting where Elder Jay Jensen from the Quorum of the seventy spoke. Somebody asked him how he made time for his family and one of the things he shared was that he always went on dates with his kids every week. I thought that was great and that it is what I wanted to do if I want to build a close relationship with my kids. So Mac and I decided that each week one of us would take a child on a date. So last month was Mac's turn an this month is my turn. Today was my time with Lili. Of course we can't afford to spend money every time so we try to do things that won't cost a lot of money or nothing at all. Today we went to pick up some vegetables at the Student Sustainable farm at Rutgers thanks to a friend from church who is a member of the farm's community group and who was on vacation and she asked me if I wanted her vegetables for this week since she couldn't pick them so I had a fun time with Lili and it was for free and I got free veggies. After that Lili really wanted to go to a toy store so we went to Toys R Us and told her that we were not going to buy anything but that she could look around to get an idea of what she wants for Christmas. Of course she wanted everything she saw but I told her that Santa Claus has to buy toys for all the kids so she can't ask for too many toys. After Toys R Us we went to get some ice cream at Magnificos. On our way home we had to stop at the grocery store for a few items because we had our friends Emily and James coming over for dinner and then we came home. I asked Lili what was her favorite part of our date and she said having ice cream. I agreed.

Lili amazed with the Lego star wars



Lili was realy enjoying the section were they have all the instruments.

Lili enjoying MY ice cream. She liked mine better than hers so I had to eat her Neon Italian Ice which turned my lips blue.



3 comments:

Lara said...

Que guapas!!!

Victoria Blanchard said...

So great! I love your new banner pics--I can't believe how much the kids have grown! Lily is SO beautiful and looks so much like you!

Robin said...

Lili looks like such a big girl. The ice cream would have been my favorite part too. What a great idea.